Using the Script
(To download these instructions as a printable PDF file, right-click on this icon:
and choose “Save Target As…”)
To determine how the adware/spyware launches, you'll need to use my script,
Here, I'll show you how to download it, how to run it, and how to find the output file it creates.
- To download it, right-click on this link, Silent Runners, and choose
“Save Target As…”.
Here's a picture of the Internet Explorer choices after right-clicking:
- In the “Save As” window, go to a folder that you can find easily. Here, I've chosen
- If you're using a broadband connection, the download should be almost instantaneous.
- After the download has completed, go to the directory where the script was saved. Here, for demonstration
purposes, I'll assume that the script was saved in “My Documents” and that the
“My Documents” folder is displayed on the desktop. So, I go to the desktop and double-click
on the “My Documents”
- You may have many documents in the folder that contains the script. Here, for demonstration purposes,
I only show the script.
- To launch the script, double-click it.
- You may get a warning from your anti-virus program. (Many scripts are dangerous. My script is not.)
Here, for demonstration purposes, I show the warning from “Norton AntiVirus”:
- In case of a warning from “Norton AntiVirus”, you need to click on the elevator bar and choose
“Authorize this script”. Then press the “OK” button.
- The script may take as little as 30 seconds or as much as several minutes to complete. When it's finished, it'll display
a little window for 5 seconds that looks like this:
- The output file will be in the same directory as the script. The name will always start with the words,
… followed by the name of your PC in parentheses, followed by the date and the time. The date format
is the year, then the month, then the day separated by dashes. Time is in hours, minutes, and seconds separated by periods.
On December 29, 2004 at 4:15:36 p.m. (16:15:36), on a PC named “VMWXPSP1”, the file would appear like this:
Note that the time is not shown in the image, but it would be appended as “16.15.36”
- The output file is in text format. If you double-click it, it will open in Notepad.